Square One’s focus on technology and online customer experience have really transformed how Canadians buy home insurance. By starting from scratch, we’ve developed a modern web-based software platform that encompasses all aspects of our business, including customer management, online sales, claims, and policy lifecycle management. We truly recognize the transformative power of technology, especially when introduced into a sleepy industry. Best of all, our customer reviews tell us we’re on the right track!
As a software developer at Square One, you’re truly at the heart of our business. You enhance and expand our software platform to help even more customers and to make us more efficient. One of the things you enjoy most about Square One is the supportive team environment. You know you’re never set up for failure; instead, you get all the coaching, mentoring, training, and tools you need for continued success.
Depending on your interests and expertise, there is the opportunity to work on a range initiatives, such as third party data integrations, claims processing automation, user experience enhancements, and server optimizations. To give you a sense of the technologies used at Square One, our Symfony based platform is written entirely in object oriented PHP, utilizing the Propel ORM, to talk to our MySQL backend and is hosted with AWS. The system is integrated with the Asterisk VoIP server used by our call centre.
As a member of the Square One team, you have a desire to contribute to the overall success of the company. You do this by becoming an expert at what you do, directing your work, and working with a team that has a broader purpose than just making a profit. You, and those who you work with, would describe you as someone who:
- Possesses superior analytical, communication and research skills.
- Has a natural curiosity and enjoys learning.
- Uses creativity and resourcefulness to identify opportunities and overcome challenges.
- Pays close attention to detail and has superior organizational skills.
- Provides and receives constructive feedback.
Your education + experience
Your experience and education helps ensure your success at Square One. For this role, you have:
- Experience building enterprise-grade, scalable web applications.
- 4 years’ experience with PHP (including object oriented programming with PHP7).
- Experience with MySQL.
- Experience with jQuery and AJAX.
- Some user interface/user experience design knowledge.
Ideally, you also have:
- Experience using the “Symfony” PHP framework.
- Prior experience within the insurance or financial services sectors.
- Experience with the LAMP stack.
- Experience with XHTML, CSS, and HTML5.
- Familiar with the LaTex document preparation system.
- Experience working in Unix/Linux environments.
- Knowledge of subversion.
- Experience with AWS’s offerings.
- Computer Science/Computer Engineering degree.
Your compensation + benefits
You appreciate the fact that Square One personalizes your compensation and benefits in the same way it personalizes policies for its customers. Your very competitive compensation and benefits plan includes:
- A competitive base salary.
- 3-weeks of vacation to start and an additional week after 5 years.
- Full MSP coverage for you and your family.
- Flexible medical, dental, vision and extended health care coverage.
- Long-term disability coverage.
- In-house and external training paid by Square One.