You’re going on vacation. You’ve done all your research, booked your flights and hotels, but there’s still one thing left to take care of. What do you do with your beloved pooch? Some of us are lucky enough to have a friend or family member who will look after our dog for us while we’re on vacation. But if that’s not the case, you may need to consider a kennel.
There are all kinds of kennels. How do you find one you’re comfortable with?
- See if family, friends, or your veterinarian can recommend a kennel.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau to see if there have been any complaints with any facility you’re considering.
- Take a tour. Get a feel for the cleanliness of the facility, as well as the knowledge and friendliness of the staff. How do the other dogs seem; stressed or comfortable?
- Talk to some of the employees who are responsible for caring for the dogs. If you detect an attitude you don’t like, find another kennel.
- Find out what’s included in the price. If your dog requires special treatment, or longer walks, there may be extra charges. Have a written schedule of any medications that need to be administered.
- Ask if certain vaccinations are required.
- Request references from other customers.
- Ask how many meals your dog will receive. Most kennels allow you to bring your own food.
- Find out if you’re allowed to bring any favourite toys, blankets, or bedding.
Once you’ve decided on a facility, you may want to arrange a few short visits for your dog, maybe even an overnight stay, in the days leading up to your holiday. This could make your dog feel more comfortable with the surroundings, and will assure him that you’ll be back to pick him up!
When you leave on your holiday, be sure to provide the facility with the name and phone number of your veterinarian, as well as your own contact information, in the event of an emergency.
Our dogs are a part of our families. Leaving them behind is never easy, but knowing they’re in a clean, caring facility will help you relax and enjoy your vacation.