Your role as a licensed home insurance agent
At Square One, we’re aiming to modernize home insurance so that it better meets the needs of people today, not those from the 1970s or earlier. We’re doing this by eliminating unnecessary complexities built into traditional policies, and by following our guiding principles.
As an insurance agent, the way you interact with customers can make or break our relationship with them. So, you always aim to represent Square One in a friendly and professional manner. While the focus of your role is on providing quotes and selling policies to new customers, you know it’s just as important to provide great service to existing customers.
Your success in this role comes from your passion for helping people and your knowledgeable approach. You have strong social skills and genuinely believe it’s fun talking to new people. You’re good at making real connections with potential customers, largely because you have great listening and questioning skills, so people feel like you get them. Once you know what they want and need, you take pride in being able to tailor a policy to their needs and to, hopefully, pass on some savings to them while doing so.
Over 90% of your day is spent on the phone, handling inbound calls and making outbound calls. You never pressure customers into buying a policy, but you’re also not scared to ask for the sale. Dealing with different calls and customers, you tailor your interaction to the situation at hand. And if challenges arise during a call, you take ownership and find graceful ways to deal with them.
One of the things you enjoy most about Square One is the supportive team environment. You know you’re never set up for failure; instead, you get all the coaching, mentoring, training, and tools you need for continued success.
Working in Square One’s call centre, you are the first and main point of contact for both potential and existing customers. As such, you have many important responsibilities, including:
- Handling a high volume of calls from customers in a prompt and professional manner.
- Calling customers who have received targeted marketing materials.
- Assessing customer needs, providing quotes, and ultimately selling policies, tailored to those needs.
- Promoting Square One to friends and family members, and encouraging customers to do the same.
- Handling payment collections.
- Helping customers make changes to their policies and ensuring the coverage they have still meets their needs.
- Taking claims reports from customers and assisting them with other issues and inquiries they may have.
- Maintaining your training and industry knowledge.
- Identifying and recommending opportunities to improve our products, processes and systems.
As a member of the Square One team, you have a desire to contribute to the overall success of the company. You do this by becoming an expert at what you do, directing your own work, and working with a team that has a broader purpose than just making profit. You and those who you work with would describe you as someone who:
- Enjoys working with others and has a passion for helping customers.
- Delivers excellent customer service and possesses strong telephone skills.
- Communicates effectively when speaking with, or writing to, others.
- Uses active listening and questioning skills to understand needs and issues.
- Takes a consultative approach to selling.
- Handles objections and deals with rejection well.
- Works well under pressure, both independently and within a collaborative team.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Uses sound judgement in making decisions and taking calculated risks.
- Adapts well to, and often initiates, change.
- Enjoys personal development and growth through learning.
- Provides and receives constructive feedback.
Your education + experience
Your experience and education, combined with product and sales training we provide, helps ensure your success at Square One. For this role, you have:
- At least 2 years of experience selling insurance, preferably in a call centre environment.
- At least 1 year of tenure with a recent employer.
- A high school diploma and, preferably, some post-secondary education.
- A BC general insurance agent level 2 license.
If you hold level 1 license, are working towards a level 2 license, and feel you’re a perfect fit in every other way, please do feel free apply. You’ll definitely be considered.
Your compensation + benefits
You appreciate the fact that Square One tailors your compensation and benefits in the same way it tailors policies for its customers. Your very competitive compensation and benefits plan includes:
- A base salary starting at $45,000 per year.
- 3-weeks, not 2-weeks, of vacation to start and an additional week after only 5 years.
- Full MSP coverage for you and your family.
- The ability to tailor your extended health care coverage.
- In-house and external training, paid by Square One.