Your role as a junior telephone claims adjuster
Wanting to take your insurance career further by working for a progressive company that values employee input? Frustrated with outdated practices and processes that lead to poor customer service? At Square One, we treat our customers fairly, paying them what they are entitled to under their policies. And, we leverage technology to personalize buying a home insurance policy in addition to enhancing claims handling.
As a telephone claims adjuster, you understand how important proper claims handling is to an insurance provider’s reputation. You treat each customer with empathy, patience and respect. You recognize that, although you may handle hundreds of claims a year, this is likely the customer’s first claim ever (or at least in a while).
Your success in this role comes from your superior analytical and decision-making skills. You have strong communication skills, which you use to share decisions with, and provide direction to, others. While you don’t enjoy conflict, you handle it effectively. You are both detail-oriented and organized, handling multiple files and tasks with ease. And, you take pride in your work and your ability to assist others.
The majority of your day is spent settling residential insurance claims. You receive assignments within your authority, make first contact and gather details of the loss via the telephone, working closely with customers and contractors to replace/restore damaged property. Your tasks also include:
- Accurately setting reserves and maintaining an efficient follow up system.
- Analyzing coverage.
- Preparing opening and closing loss reports and requesting payments.
- Identifying policies requiring underwriting reviews
One of the things you enjoy most about Square One is the supportive team environment. You know you’re never set up for failure; instead, you get all the coaching, mentoring, training, and tools you need for continued success.
Working in Square One’s claims department, you are the main point of contact for customers who have suffered losses and filed claims. As such, you have many important responsibilities, including:
- Securing telephone statements and details of damages from customers.
- Reviewing the claims process with customers and helping them submit required information.
- Determining whether specific claims are covered and explaining why or why not.
- Securing, evaluating and approving contractor quotations.
- Assisting customers with completing schedules and repairing or replacing lost or damaged property.
- Negotiating settlements, arranging payments and finalizing claims.
- Collaborating with independent adjuster on file action plans and providing pro-active instructions on files.
- Maintaining your training and industry knowledge.
You have a desire to contribute to the overall success of the company. You do this by becoming an expert at what you do, directing your own work, and working with a team that has a broader purpose than just making profit. You and those who you work with would describe you as someone who:
- Possesses superior analytical and decision-making skills.
- Communicates effectively when explaining decisions and providing direction.
- Uses active listening and questioning skills to understand issues and needs.
- Handles conflict effectively and avoids taking things personally.
- Pays close attention to detail and has superior organizational skills.
- Is a learner who receives and applies constructive feedback and has the ability to give constructive feedback.
Your education + experience
Your experience and education, combined with product and claims training we provide, helps ensure your success at Square One. For this role, you have:
- At least 1 year of insurance or claims experience.
- At least 1 year of tenure with a recent employer.
- A high school diploma and, preferably, some post-secondary education.
- A CAIB, CIP or GIE designation, or working towards one of these.
- A level 2 agent or independent adjuster license.
Your compensation + benefits
You appreciate the fact that Square One personalizes your compensation and benefits in the same way it personalizes policies for its customers. Your very competitive compensation and benefits plan includes:
- A base salary of $40,000 per year.
- 3-weeks, not 2-weeks, of vacation to start.
- Full MSP coverage for you and your family.
- Flexible medical, dental, vision and extended health care coverage.
- Long-term disability coverage.
- In-house and external training paid by Square One.