Your bed is one important piece of furniture…after all, you spend 1/3 of your life in it. A great night’s sleep is important for your overall health, and some experts say it helps with weight loss efforts as well. But how do you know which mattress is right for you? Well, there are a number of things to consider, when you’re trying to catch some quality sleep:
- Comfort: When I think comfort, I think of a super soft, cushy, sink in deep, mattress. Generally your comfort level is determined by what type of surface is on the mattress: pillow top, plush, memory foam, or quilted. Comfort is definitely a matter of personal taste, but keep in mind, if your mattress isn’t giving you the support you need, you’re going to feel some aches and pains in the morning.
- Support: Getting the right support will make all the difference, and will help you feel refreshed in the morning. While comfort is determined by what’s on top of the mattress, support comes from deep inside. If the mattress has the right amount of support, it will keep your spine in line while you’re sleeping. If you’re a couple, you might want to consider a mattress that also reduces movement when your partner rolls over or gets out of bed.
- Durability: Mattresses usually last about 10 years. People often go much longer between buying mattresses, but if it’s started to develop valleys, or lumps and bumps, it’s time to change.
- Size: It’s nice to have lots of room to roll around when you’re in bed. And, as we age, our sleep becomes a bit more restless. Some couples decide to get separate beds, but another alternative could be to get the biggest mattress that will fit in your room.
- Price: The most expensive isn’t necessarily the best! I spent so much money on my last mattress that I figure it should last me forever. Then I slept at a friend’s one night, on a mattress that cost half as much as mine, and provided twice the comfort. The best idea is to try out a few different mattresses. The sales people will expect you to lie down, and roll around, until you find the one that feels just right! Some stores even offer a trial period, after which you can return the mattress if you don’t like it.
When you’ve invested in a new mattress, it’s a good time to reassess your home insurance needs! Did you just buy a new mattress, or did you get a whole new bedroom suite? If you’ve gone from a queen size bed to a king size, think about what it would cost to replace everything in your bedroom (furniture, bedding, clothes, draperies). Remember that this is only a small portion of the furniture in your entire house. Is the personal property limit on your home insurance policy sufficient to replace everything you own?
A new mattress will definitely help you get a good night’s sleep, but having the right home insurance will make sure you can rest easy. Give Square One a call at 1.855.331.6933 to discuss your coverage options. Sweet dreams.