Home insurance claims examiner
Tired of working for a home insurance provider that tries to find ways to deny, rather than cover, claims? Frustrated with out-dated practices and processes that lead to poor customer service? At Square One, we treat our customers fairly, paying them what they are entitled to under their policies. And, we leverage technology to personalize buying a home insurance policy and making a home insurance claim.
You understand how important proper claims handling is to an insurance provider’s reputation and stability. Your success in this role comes from your solid home insurance claims examining experience as well as your superior analytical and decision-making skills. You can quickly determine what claims are and aren’t covered. You have strong communication skills, which you use to share decisions and findings with, and provide direction to, others. While you don’t enjoy conflict, you handle it effectively. You are both detail-oriented and organized, handling multiple files and tasks with ease. And, you take pride in your work and in assisting others.
Over 80% of your day is spent settling home insurance claims. You work closely with independent adjusters, reviewing their recommendations and providing them with clear direction. You adjust smaller property claims over the phone, speaking and dealing with customers directly. You also identify policies requiring underwriting review.
One of the things you enjoy most about Square One is the supportive team environment. You know you’re never set up for failure; instead, you get all the coaching, mentoring, training, and tools you need for continued success.
Working in Square One’s claims department, you are the main point of contact for customers who have suffered losses and filed claims. As such, you have many important responsibilities, including:
- Taking notices of loss from customers and assigning claims to adjusters.
- Reviewing the claims process with customers and helping them submit the required information.
- Determining whether specific claims are covered and explaining why.
- Reviewing independent adjuster reports, answering questions and providing direction.
- Assisting customers with repairing or replacing lost or damaged property.
- Negotiating settlements, arranging payments and finalizing claims.
- Securing feedback from customers and sharing that feedback with management.
- Maintaining your training and industry knowledge.
As a member of the Square One team, you have a desire to contribute to the overall success of the company. You do this by becoming an expert at what you do, directing your own work, and working with a team that has a broader purpose than just making profit. You and those who you work with would describe you as someone who:
- Possesses superior analytical and decision-making skills.
- Communicates effectively when explaining decisions and providing direction.
- Uses active listening and questioning skills to understand issues and needs.
- Handles conflict effectively and avoids taking things personally.
- Pays close attention to detail and has superior organizational skills.
- Provides and receives constructive feedback.
Your education + experience
Your experience and education, combined with product and claims training we provide, helps ensure your success at Square One. For this role, you have:
- At least 2 years of home insurance claims adjusting experience.
- At least 1 year of tenure with a recent employer.
- A high school diploma and, preferably, some post-secondary education.
- A Chartered Insurance Professional designation or working towards a designation.
Your compensation + benefits
You appreciate the fact that Square One personalizes your compensation and benefits in the same way it personalizes policies for its customers. Your very competitive compensation and benefits plan includes:
- A competitive base salary.
- 3-weeks, not 2-weeks, of vacation to start and an additional week after only 5 years.
- Full MSP coverage for you and your family.
- Flexible medical, dental, vision and extended health care coverage.
- Long-term disability coverage.
- In-house and external training paid by Square One.